That might not look like much, but I've wanted to try to catch the International Space Station in flight for a looong time.
This was my very first attempt, with the added complexity of it being a transit across the face of the Sun.
The alert said the viewing opportunity was centred 130 kms away from my location. I recorded for several minutes but thought I'd missed it. Until I looked at the recording the next day!
It occurred on Tuesday 10 December 2013 at 06:37. This was immediately after sunrise, and the sun was at an altitude of just 9.5 degrees (just a fist width held at arm's length), even less above my local horizon. The distance of the ISS from me, according to Calsky.com, was 1546 kms. Therefore 'seeing' was heavily degraded.
Ground speed of the ISS was 15.728 km/s, or alternatively, it had an angular velocity 9.2'/s.
At this time of year, the sunrise is only visible from the footpath out front of my home, so I couldn't really have the C8 with EQ mount all set up out there the night before!
Therefore the telescope I used is a 200mm Dobsonian, manually guided. The camera is a Canon EOS60D in HD video mode. I had to take it through a variable eyepiece adapter with a 25mm eyepiece, as the Dobsonian won't focus with a directly connected camera.
Ground speed of the ISS was 15.728 km/s, or alternatively, it had an angular velocity 9.2'/s.
At this time of year, the sunrise is only visible from the footpath out front of my home, so I couldn't really have the C8 with EQ mount all set up out there the night before!
Therefore the telescope I used is a 200mm Dobsonian, manually guided. The camera is a Canon EOS60D in HD video mode. I had to take it through a variable eyepiece adapter with a 25mm eyepiece, as the Dobsonian won't focus with a directly connected camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please share, "Like", or comment on this post. Feedback is fuel for the blogger!