12 February 2012

Moonbase Alpha to be resurrected as new scifi series "Space: 2099"

I love a good scifi show. Since Battlestar Galactica and Stargate Universe finished, Terra Nova is about it these days, and is struggling along. Does Doctor Who count as scifi? A toss-up...

Lately I've been wishing that a key series from my childhood UFO would be re-imaged with all the realism and wonder that today's CGI could bring to the show. What?? You don't remember UFO? Those gorgeous gull-wing electric cars, those gorgeous women, those gorgeous mini skirts, those absurd mesh shirts, and of course those woeful UFOs spinning on the end of strings? It was a production by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, and you should do yourself a favour and check it out at this fan site.

But one of the Anderson's other great productions with the saga of Moonbase Alpha blasted out of our solar system in the series Space: 1999. And now it looks pretty certain that it will be reinvented as Space: 2099.


A much more realistic timeframe too, but back in the 70s, who was to know that the Soviet Union would fall over so soon and bring the amazing pace of the space race to such a crashing halt?

The biggest question over the plot though will be how they account for the endless centuries of travel between various solar systems...

The announcement seems to be getting a lukewarm reception at a fan site set up to try get just such a project off the ground. An incredible site, it shows the lengths scifi fans will go to in the search for quality fare.

Now because I've mentioned UFO, what more reason do I need to put some footage of that great show out there? I love the typewriter!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share, "Like", or comment on this post. Feedback is fuel for the blogger!