So this morning when through Twitter came this video, well you could say I was kind of excited. A lot.
(PS: there's some language at the end after he lands - feel free to stop it before that if concerned or kids around. You're not missing anything.)
Into flight - from a standing start. Granted you can clearly see that it's powered-assisted flight. He is simply waving his arms up and down, and the partially mechanised wings are following this motion, with manual tethers to the wing tips.
And we've seen before that the motion of wings can be mimicked mechanically in this robot bird.
But since this went globally viral, the hoax claims have come thick and fast. This critique on Tech Crunch seems to totally miss the point in arguing that human arm strength couldn't sustain the wings. He isn't moving the wings completely by himself. Are these people incapable of checking out the other videos on the guy's YouTube channel that show how the wings have assisted drives? One of the clips shows an early CAD design with bands to go around the arms, which appear to have been abandoned in later designs. The clips are crappy, disjointed and leave big holes in the story.
Wired has had a more considered go at analysing the evidence as it stands.
If it's a con, then it's an amazingly well but incompetently done con. It's hard to believe that a con wouldn't have laid things out a bit more coherently. I think I prefer to believe it was true. And I want to try it.
Via
not sure if I dreamed I was at school in my PJs but do rememember dreaming I had no underpants, forgot my school case, and was trying to run but my legs wouldn't work properly ... and sort of half flying - had a few dreams where I would run downhill and jump and sort of hover for a while on the way down ... and one dream where I flew for a short distance, missed the doorway I was heading for and crash landed in the room next door ... maybe I should tell people I want to try hang gliding or sky diving, or possibly kite surfing/skiing, for my 50th birthday? LOL
ReplyDelete(I love anything one can do in/on the sea, but hang gliding would probably be my choice because it is the most like flying ... hang gliding over the sea would probably be perfect ;-)