We did, and they have. Frogs that is. Well one at least - so far.
We built a frog pond out front of our home (away from bedrooms and neighbours!) that takes overland flows from two swales out front plus from the front portico and entrance area. And lately it has been developing into a nice little 'web of life'.
We put a variety of wetland reeds and floating plants in, lots of river gravel and larger rocks both submerged and above the surface, plus some timber to provide ramps. Some tiddlers from the Molonglo River are probably feral mosquito fish, but mesh on the outlet will prevent them ever getting away, and they do keep mossies out of it.
First we noticed water boatmen beetles had discovered the pond. Then rosellas started using it as a watering hole. And last night, the first frog arrived - albeit sounding forlorn and lonely.
If he gets some company and starts 'making whoopie', we'll need to devise a way to keep any eggs and tadpoles spearate from the fish, but right now it's all coming along nicely.
Forwarded: My reply to Mizjo's comment on your blog...
ReplyDelete'Mizjo, that hole is enough to attract a frog, as long as it has water in it. I once placed a broken teapot in my garden, it was filled with rainwater. Sure enough, I spied a frog in it. When I turned the garden tap on,I often saw the little hoppers about.
Yes, I remember marvelling at the little black blobs with little legs and long tails in between, swimming in a glass tank. It was part of our school subject on nature study. Great fun watching the tadpoles, but I rather dreaded the final stage of development. I started being jumpy, long before the froggies took their big leaps!'