17 February 2012

Atlas 5 launch rescheduled just after 9am Saturday 25/2 - watch live here!

UPDATE 25/2: third time lucky we hope. But I'll miss it as I'm off at a scout camp. Trying to repost this and the embedded player should work fine. Enjoy.

UPDATE 10:20: launch was scrubbed again due to poor weather in the higher altitude about Cape Kennedy. They'll try it again, but not before Wednesday next week. Meanwhile the Atlas is going to be rolled back into the shed.

Yesterday's launch was scrubbed, but they are having another go this morning.

You can watch the launch of the Atlas 5 rocket right here, with the launch window opening at 5:42 US EST or 21:42 GMT (a.k.a. UTC) - if I've got my world clocks sorted properly - it's all so confusing...

UPDATE: yep I got the time conversion wrong - 9:42 not 8:42 Australian EDST. Daylight savings fail...


Watch live streaming video from spaceflightnow at livestream.com

And you can learn about the mission and payload here. The payload is a US military communications satellite.

The Atlas 5 rocket is the same one that was used to launch the Mars Curiosity rover last November. It's an amazingly fast launch - no lumbering skyward like the huge Saturn V or Space Shuttle launches...

Oh - those four towers around the rocket? Lightning rods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share, "Like", or comment on this post. Feedback is fuel for the blogger!